Friday, November 16, 2007

What have I done??!?!?!

That's right, it's a turkey! I bought a turkey. Why you ask? Well Chris said "Maybe we should eat at home this year." I quickly said "are you crazy" He said "not alone, but like if the Pulleys want to have dinner at home we should eat with them" We have had Thanksgiving dinner at the Cracker Barrel for many years now and love it.( In fact a few years ago Tyler said, "Mom did you know some people eat thanksgiving dinner at home. Maybe we should try it sometime." Oh we laughed about that.) The Pulleys have had it there with us a few times, but Darren really likes him home cooked dinner. Deborah called me yesterday and the rest of the story is history. It is all good. We are Thankful for them. They are our family here, we love being with them, the kids love each other, I am really excited. But, not only are we staying home I offered to have it here and make the turkey. I have never, NO NEVER, in my life made a turkey. Maybe we will all be at the Cracker Barrel after all..we will just have to wait and see.


9 comments:

Beckey said...

I have never done a REAL turkey! I always buy the Butterball turkey breast that you stick in the oven frozen and it turns out perfect! I love what T said! That is so cute! Good luck, hope it turns out yummy! I am doing dinner here as well, but up here the U.S. Thanksgiving is just another day...the kids and Travis will be at school all day...so we will have to eat late!

Beckey said...

By the way, I love the paper you put on the blog, what site did you get that from?

Deborah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deborah said...

I have been looking all day long trying to get new paper like you did. If weren't so late, I would call you now!!!
Anyway, I have great confidence in your ability to bake a turkey. We are very excited for Thursday.

Sherry said...

It is so much easier than you would think. You've always been great at anything you try so, I know you'll have a fantastic Thanksgiving. Hey, if I can do it, you can do it too!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chapman Herd said...

Jo,
Just fix a pioneer woman thanksgiving....All of her food look SO delicious! Good luck!

AF Nixons said...

Wow! No Cracker Barrell? Well, good luck with your turkey. Just keep in mind, the kids will probably say "yuck" just like they do at any other meal and despite the fact that you prepare for five hours, the meal will be over in 15 minutes. I'm going to force my kids to sit at the table for at least 30 this year.

Brady Nixon said...

A couple of turkey cooking tips:
1. Remember that there is a sack in the cavity area of the turkey where the liver and heart and other delicacies are stored. Yum! I love sticking my hand up the cavity to pull that out!
2. Chances are the neck is also crammed in there somewhere as well. Mmmm, mmmmm, good.
3. Don't forget to un-thaw the bird correctly. Otherwise, you get into all that salmonella food poisoning stuff. If it's just your own family that gets the runs as a result of food poisoning, that's OK, but be careful when serving guests :)
4. We cook ours upside down in a big metal bowl so the white breast meat is submerged in the juice as it cooks and makes it more moist.
5. Use an oven-baking bag. It actually makes cooking a turkey pretty easy.