Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pumpkin Walk

As far back as I can remember my grandparents have done a pumpkin walk. They decided that teenagers needed to have something to do on Halloween to keep them out of trouble. They would get leftover, unwanted pumpkins from farmers fields and then two weeks before Halloween we would all carve pumpkins. They would send home a pumpkin with all the kids in their preschool to carve and bring back. Wards would come with their youth to carve. Anyone and everyone was welcome to help carve the pumpkins. The pumpkins were always on display the night before Halloween and Halloween night. At first all the pumpkins would be lit using candles and we would dress up, walk around with candles of our own and keep them lit. I am not sure when, but finally the figured out it would be easier to string Christmas lights in them. They did this every year until my grandpa Chester died 12 years ago. My little brother took it on after that for a few years. I am not exactly sure how the Pumpkin Walk ended up over in Syracuse, Utah (the neighboring city of my grandparents) I know my older sister Melinda was on the Arts Council and when they found out my grandma wasn't going to do it anymore the council didn't want this tradition to die. It was such a fun part of Halloween for everyone. They (the city) took it on, with my sister heading the operation. All the carving is still done at my grandmas school and all my family is still very much involved in this. It has continued to grow and now the city has farms that grow pumpkins for them (no more second hand unwanted pumpkins) and this year over 9ooo people walked through in three days to see over 1000 pumpkins that were on display! I get homesick every Halloween because I know what I am missing. This was and is one of my favorite family traditions. My grandpa loved doing art on his pumpkins. He designed and made his own tools and always carved the most amazing pumpkins. My family and a few family friends would do the same. I wish I had more pictures to show, but these two are by far the best ones I have seen. My younger brother Sheldon carved these (probably using my grandpas tools) They were the first pumpkins that the people saw when entering the pumpkin walk. Very fitting because my grandma sat at the beginning of the pumpkin walk with a clicker, counting every person that came through. The are AMAZING and look exactly like my grandparents.
For more pictures go to my mom's blog

8 comments:

Beckey said...

Jo, I remember going to the pumpkin walk probably the year after we graduated and I loved it! I just remember thinking how amazing some of those pumpkins were and you saying that your family did them all! I am so glad that Syracuse has decided to keep the tradition going, what a neat thing for your family!

Amy said...

What a great family tradition. I wish there was something like this in Rochester.

Amy said...

I can see why you miss being a part of this with your family.

Chapman Herd said...

Joanna, we sure miss you while doing this! I love the pictures on my blog except that you aren't in them! How about Next Year, you plan your family Vacation around the pumpkin Walk and you can be a part of it again! I know you weren't there physically, but that doesn't mean we weren't thinking about you! LOVE YOU!!

allredclan said...

Hey! This is Morgan. You know that number that has been texting you? Its me:) I just thought I would let you know:):) We miss you!!

Deborah said...

I would love to see someone actually carving one of the faces. Why don't your pumpkins look like this?

Mary said...

Bennett says he misses his "preschool grandma!" Next year I'm going to have to make a point of attending.

Becky A said...

what an awesome family tradition, joanna! Great that syracuse city took it over and didn't let it end. I'll have to take my little fam out there to check it out!