Sunday, October 5, 2008

The one race when time doesn't matter

The reason we went to NYC was to run the Tunnel to Towers 5k race. Honestly this was one of the coolest things I have ever done. We had a police escort through the tunnel on our shuttle bus and when we were let off and made it to the start of the race this is what we saw. There were about 15,000 runners/walkers. They had Neil Diamond's "Coming to America" blasting. Before the beginning of the race there was a little video about why this race was started. On September 11, 2001 off duty firefighter Steven Siller was in Brooklyn when the towers were hit. He was going to play golf, but turned his truck around. The Brooklyn Battery tunnel was closed so he got out of his truck put his gear on (70 lbs of it I believe) and ran through the tunnel. He had 5 kids! You can read about it by clicking the link on his name. So this race was to retrace his footsteps. During the video we figured out that the guy who told us that this was the one race when time doesn't matter was his brother.
Here is a group of army men and women in full fatigues and packs on their backs ready to run. There were fire fighters from London there. There were some running in their gear, helmets and all. The National Anthem was sung which was very emotional and we were off...10 minutes after the race started.
That's right...there were so many people there it took us 10 minutes just to get to the starting line. April let us run with her camera and I am so glad we did.
Anna did a sprint to get in front of these guys and ran backward while taking this picture.(she is cool like that) They were chanting all through the tunnel which was pretty cool. The tunnel it's self is 1.7 miles long and it was HOT HOT HOT!!! It was a lot harder then I thought it was going to be.
Coming out of the tunnel you are greeted by fresh cool air and firefighters all dressed up in their nice suits holding American flags and they each have a banner with a picture of one of the firefighters who died that day...all 343 of them. It was an AMAZING sight.
They cheered you on as you ran by...giving out high fives...kind words of encouragement.
It really was awesome.
As we came around the bend our cheerleaders Seleta and April were there. Do you see me with my hands up and the Statue of Liberty behind me.
I had a great time (once I got out of that tunnel...did I mention that it was HOT in there?)
Here we are Nicole, Amy, Anna and me
I will do this again next year and every year after...as long as I have great friends to run it with me AND if my super cool nice husband watches the kids for me. :)

12 comments:

Deborah said...

It is fun to see all the pictures and experience it with you photographically (is that a word?)!

Beckey said...

I wondered in your last post why you said you were emotional when you registered for the race. So, you had me crying when I read the reason for the race...I am such a baby like that when it comes to 9/11. I would LOVE to run this race if I was a runner! That is so neat that you were able to do that!!! Wow! AND...You look awesome in those pictures!

nixon5 said...

That is really cool. Way to go.

Heidi said...

That looks like such an amazing experience. I am happy for you to all get that chance.

Mary said...

I am SO in next year. It looks amazing!!

Chapman Herd said...

You look super skinny Jo...Amazing! TO bad I am SOO not a runner or I would fly there and run wth you next year! What a neat experience!

Mike Allred said...

What a memorable event! Thanks for sharing the photos and the stories.

Mike

allredclan said...

Count me in for next year for sure!!! I can't wait!!!!

Kammi said...

What an amazing experience! You are awesome and look GREAT, skinny minny!

Becky A said...

Wow, Joanna, what an awesome event to participate in. I want to do that! You look good, girl! I haven't run a step since my big 5K in August, but you are inspiring me!

Anna said...

Ok...how did I miss that that was his brother?! I didn't know that until I read this post. Amazing!

Heidi said...

You are amazing! What an experience. I wish I lived closer so I coul run it with you!