Monday, February 18, 2008

Grandma Beverly

My grandma Beverly passed away early this morning. What a wonderful woman she was. My heart is so full of different emotions. I am so sad she is gone, but so happy that she is with my grandpa Chester again. I'll never forget the way she laid on his chest and cried right before they closed his casket. I like to think that right now she is lying on his chest crying again. She is also with her son, Louis who passed away when he was 18 and her parents.
I don't know how people face death without the gospel in their lives. I am so sad, but feel so comforted at the same time. I feel so blessed and so lucky to have this knowledge. My dad told me to read in Alma 40 this morning and as I did I came across v.12, "And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow."
I love the look of relief on my grandma's face in this picture. It was the day my parents returned from their mission. She looks so happy. Maybe this is what she looks like in heaven...her in the middle with her parents on each side of her.
I was lucky enough to live only 5 house away from them my whole life. We used to sleep down their every Friday night. She would always have ice cream in the freezer which we loved. She would always make me a Strawberry Pie for Thanksgiving because she knew it was my favorite.

This picture was taken just this past Christmas. I hadn't seen her in 4 years. I am so glad we decided to take the trip out there.

I love this picture for many reasons. This is my darling nephew Chester who was named after her husband. I love that they are both sleeping. I love the look of her mouth because that is so my grandma, :) I will miss you grandma. I love you!

13 comments:

AF Nixons said...

That is the perfect blog. I love your pictures of her. You said everything perfectly.

Kammi said...

Jo-
I'm sorry to hear about your grandma! I am sure she is so happy right now. What great pictures.

Beckey said...

I am so sorry Jo, I lost my Grandma as well in May of last year and it was so hard. I was also comforted to know she was with my Grandpa... I remember meeting her once or twice, what a sweet lady! Our prayers are with your family.

Deborah said...

Joanna, this is a beautiful tribute to your grandmother. I can totally see AM's eyes in hers.

Anna said...

Very sweet blog, Joanna. Our love to your family!

Sherry said...

Jo,
I'm so sorry. What a blessing that you came for Christmas and were able to see her. She was a great lady.

Anonymous said...

oh Joanna - I am so sorry about your loss - but such a beautiful memory of her. And such a wonderful verse you quoted. A blessing to have gospel, that's for sure!

Mary said...

Joanna I am so sorry. That just breaks my heart. Bennett will be so sad.

Amy said...

I love that you have so many wonderful memories of your Grandma. And amen to happy reunions on the other side.

Paige Storheim said...

Thanks for the heads up. I loved your pictures and reading your memories. What a lucky person to have had such wonderful memories with her. She seems to be such a dear person. I am sure you have been blessed by such a person in your life. P

April said...

I'm so sorry Joanna. Ditto what Amy said. It's so nice that you have so many happy memories of her!

Katie said...

We will be thinking and praying for you and your family. I have been through it. I lived very close to my Grandparents my whole life and shared so many wonderful times. I still think of them so often, their influence on the person that I am today. May you be blessed and your heart consoled. Love you!

Elder Ethan Coleman said...

What a special tribute you made of her. Those memories will keep her close by. I'm sorry for your loss.