It is 3:09pm on Wednesday. I have finished packing my bag and it is starting to set in. I am really feeling sick and my heart is pounding. I HATE to fly. HATE HATE HATE to fly. I didn't used to be such a chicken. I actually enjoyed the times I had flown, but about 4 years ago I had an awful flight and at that point when I realized that I was in the air and my kids we on the ground it all hit me. I have only flown once since then, but I had two of my best friends there with me to support me and give me all the pity and attention that I needed to make it onto that plane. Tomorrow I will get on the plane ALONE leaving my wonderful husband and 5 darlings behind. AHHHH my hands are shaking. I need to go do something to get my mind off of this. Here is what wikipedia has to say about fear of flying...
Symptoms
A fear of flying is a level of anxiety so great that it prevents a person from travelling by air, or causes great distress to a person when he or she is compelled to travel by air. The most extreme manifestations can include panic attacks or vomiting at the mere sight or mention of an aircraft or air travel.
The fear of flying may be created by various other phobias and fears:[1]
a fear of closed in spaces (claustrophobia), such as that of an aircraft cabin (I am ok with this)
a fear of heights (acrophobia) (don't love heights)
a feeling of not being in control (yep)
fear of having panic attacks in certain places, where escape would be difficult and/or embarrassing (agoraphobia) (um I think I am ok here...we will see tomorrow)
fear of hijacking or terrorism (not so much anymore)
fear of turbulence (yes very much so)
fear of flying over water or night flying (can't swim too well, but I would probably be dead if we crashed over water and wouldn't need to swim)
fear of crashing resulting in injury or death (yes yes yes yes yes yes..one yes for each person I am leaving behind)
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
aerophobia
I know I am silly and it is safer to fly then drive, but still.......
Posted by Joanna at 3:01 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I had no idea you didnt like to fly! Have you ever seen the movie "French Kiss"? Maybe you need a mantra. I won't be there with you, but I can feel as much pity as you need from here!
Take a deep breath and remember that your family and many friends are here on the other end. I'm so glad you get to come.
I didn't know you were that afraid of flying! I don't mind flying at all except I have to have an aisle seat because I do get claustrophobic with the overhead bins above me if I am by the window. But I would be like that in a small car too. Travis doesn't have a fear of flying but he throw up every time we do! Good luck, you will be fine! Have a ton of fun! I sit NYC you are going to? Or did you already go?
Remember your family is safe and sound on the ground. You will be fine!!! You have 6 whole days alone-what could be better?
I'm sorry. I understand you're anxiety. I have it too. Although I don't think about cute little people that belong to me when I'm in the air, I just really hate the whole experience. I know you'll bring a book so, just keep your brain occupied -- from the moment you sit down. You'll be fine.
Deep cleansing breathes. By the time you get this, you will be in Utah safe and sound.
Post a Comment