Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tumor FREE

Here he is tumor free! His second surgery went great. When we went up to see Dr. Snyderman after he was done he told us it took him longer to set up and take down everything then to preform the actual surgery. He said the little tumor piece that was left and removed was as big as his thumb nail. When he said everything went well I said, "I just want to stand up and hug you right now." He laughed at that. I probably made him a little uncomfortable, but at least I didn't stand up and hug him! The tube hanging out of his nose is actually a balloon holding the packing and holding his nose open. The first thing he said to me in post-op was "mom look" he then closed his mouth and breathed in and out THROUGH HIS NOSE!
That brought tears to my eyes.
He was having a hard time in the recovery room because he was so thirsty. He was crying because all he wanted was a drink and he couldn't have one. They took it slow so he wouldn't throw up. Chris would dip this sponge in water and put it in T's mouth. You should have seen him try and suck that little sponge dry. Poor kid. I said "lets try and think of something else" to which he replied in tears, "I can't. All I can think of is oceans, lakes, streams. If I had a can of pop right now I could chug the whole thing." I felt so bad for him, but he fell asleep not long after that and by the time we got to the room he could drink. We went right to the room and not the PICU like we were told. We were very happy about that. He slept for most of the day and most of the day we were alone in the room. It was a nice quiet afternoon. He slept most of the day today as well. Dr. Snyderman came in and took out that balloon in his nose, the nurse cleaned him up pretty good, and I washed his hair. He looks great. He is down to one IV in his arm (he had 4) He is hopefully going home tomorrow!! I never would have thought he would only be in the hospital one week after a surgery like this. I need to add another Hero to my list and that is Dr. Snyderman, though T is still at the top.

13 comments:

Chapman Herd said...

I am SOOOO happy that things went so good and that you will be home in no time! Way to go T!! You are my hero as well!

Elder Ethan Coleman said...

I can't believe his strength and courage. I'm so glad things went well. Hope recovery is smooth, and he is back to himself soon. Prayers still headed your way!

Beckey said...

I am so happy things went so well for you T! Poor guys with his thirst though! Your doctor sounds so wonderful! Hope things work out for you to go home today! I bet it will be nice for ALL of you to sleep in your own beds! Good luck!

Deborah said...

Can't wait to see you all. So glad this ordeal is winding up.

Heather said...

YAY TY and YAY Gregorys!!!!!! YAY Dr. Snyderman!! Virtual hugs for everyone!

Amy said...

We've been doing a happy dance for T since we heard the good news.See you soon.

Heidi said...

WAHOO! We are SO thrilled that it is all over and that it all went so great! I bet you can't wait to get home!! I want to go hug Dr. Snyderman too.

Jill Gardner said...

Yippee! I'm so happy and relieved for you. I'm sure I would have jumped up and hugged him, and probably let slip "Dr. Spiderman" at that.

Enjoy breathing out of your nose, Ty. I assume they're letting you drink all the soda you want today! Try not to make yourself sick.

Love,
Jill/Mrs. Gardner

Becky A said...

SOOOO glad everything went so smoothly, Joanna. What a great kid.

The Nixon Two said...

I have to agree with your mom and Liseanne your are my hero also. It is amazing the strenght we have when we need it. Glad you are all home and things are some what back to normal. Love you all and miss you all.

Mary said...

What wonderful news. You are all my heros!!!

AF Nixons said...

That is amazing. What a great post. I loved his comments about the ocean, river, lake when he was so thirsty. He and Tucker would get along so well, they have the same sense of humor. I am so glad you are home! I can't believe he was released so soon. Awesome!

nixon5 said...

Yay!!! Way to go T you are so awesome. I hope you get a big can of soda to chug when you get home:)