Saturday, January 10, 2009

Day 4

T is doing great. This is out first outing to the basement cafeteria and gift shop. He is still light headed and can't stand for to long. He is skin and bones. He has lost a lot of weight. This morning with his breakfast I fed him candy bars. I was also able to brush his teeth for the first time in 4 days. YUCK! I was just using water and he asked if I could just use a little toothpaste.
He is still numb on the left side, but we knew that would happen coming into this. He is still pretty swollen, though you can't tell in this picture. Dr. Snyderman came in today and said all looks good. He was going to take the sponge out of T's nose, but when he found out it would be uncomfortable he asked Dr. Snyderman if he could wait until he was under again on Monday. The amazing thing is that he isn't in pain at all. He has had no pain medicine since he woke up. With the tumor gone so is the pressure and pain. AMAZING! I thought he was going to be pretty beat up for a while. I am so happy we found Dr. Snyderman and the endonasal approach.

He has had two MRI's since Wednesday(which is why he has on more Cheerios). He had one that night after the surgery and when they looked at the films they noticed spots on his brain that weren't there before. That is why he went in again so they could get better pictures of the spots. Dr. Gardner (his neurosurgeon) was right there to look at them as soon as T was done. He told us he didn't know what they were. They are on the part of the brain that controls his coordination. He said they didn't look like strokes and when I asked if he was worried he calmly replied "no" He thinks it may just be water from losing so much fluid and getting so much fluid. He will have another MRI in about a month to see if they are still there.

We know things haven't gone as well as they have on their own. We know he is being blessed and watched over. He will be back to school in no time.

16 comments:

Sherry said...

Tyler you look great! It amazes me how brave you are. I know it helps your Mom and Dad so much.
Jo, you are constantly in my thoughts. Hang in there, the end is near. I'm glad you and Chris are there together so you have support.
Take care of yourself too.
I'll be praying for the success of surgery #2.
Love,
Sherry

Beckey said...

He doesn't look swollen at all! He really looks wonderful Jo! I was so happy to hear that he hasn't had pain. Seriously...Heavenly Father is just taking him right through this! I'll be thinking of you all day again tomorrow, soon he'll be done and this will be over. Tyler, you are so brave! What an example you are!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tyler, Joanna and Chris,
Thank you for sharing this wonderful news! Tyler: I think you are the bravest boy in the whole world! Your picture is still on my desk at work and on my dresser at home. Every time I look at you, I say a prayer for your speedy recovery. Only one more leg of the race to go! We are so proud of you! Joanna and Chris: Thanks so much for your emails and for taking the time to update the blog. Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

All our Love,
Margie and Linus

Anna said...

No pain meds? You're far tougher than me, T. Hang in there...you are amazing!

AF Nixons said...

I can't believe he has done all of this without pain medication! That is awesome. He must have a high tolerance for pain. Way to go Tyler!

nixon5 said...

That is so great! we are thinking of you and continue to pray for you. BTW T you look so good. I can't believe how great you look after all you have been through.

Charity said...

Joanna,
I found your blog through Ann's. I just wanted to let you know that there are extra prayers being offered in West Point for your son and your family. Hope you will all get to go home soon.
Love you!

Nixon Family said...

You know this already, but we are so happy that things have gone good. We will continue to remember you in our prayers. Your amazing T.

Anonymous said...

You are one tough guy. At the end of all this we will have to start calling you Mr. T. Maybe mom and dad will let you get a mohawk to look like Mr. T too. See you soon.

Unknown said...

Hi Tyler,
You look awesome! You are one tough boy. When you get home, I will have to show you how to levitate! (You have to make sure you keep it a secret though and not tell your sister Amanda!) :)

Take care buddy!

Love,
Mr. D

Anonymous said...

Tyler, Chris & Joanna - my thoughts and prayers are with you today! Your positive attitude is very inspiring.

Jill Gardner said...

Hi T (and Joanne & Chris)! Can't wait for an update. We've been praying for you. Won't it be great to have all this behind you? (P.S. I'll be your siblings were jealous when they found out your mom fed you candy bars for breakfast.)

Becky A said...

He really does look great! Good luck with the next step! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tyler! We heard that today's procedure went well, too! Congratulations! We are so excited to hear that you will be able to go home soon. You are a truly remarkable person. We will keep you in our thoughts & prayers throughout your recovery.

Anonymous said...

We are so happy to hear things went well. Your parents are awesome too. Get home soon....oh tell your dad that I left his Miley Cyrus CD back on his desk at work.

Anonymous said...

Dear Tyler, Joanna and Chris,
With each positive report, I rejoice: "Thank God, Thank God, Thank God!!!" You are all a wonderful inspiration... and I will continue to pray for you daily. Tyler, you still owe me an e-mail!!! I want to send you a welcome home gift but need a little direction in terms of what you like... do you like video games, other games, sports things, books, music, action figures?? Please let me know.
With more love and good wishes than e-mail can hold,
Amy Pizzarello
apizza120@gmail.com