Tuesday, September 2, 2008

where are all my tax dollars going???

I just have to vent for one quick minute. Most of you know the astronomical amount of taxes we pay in this state for these wonderful schools, but where are they all going. I was getting the kids' backpacks ready for tomorrow and the more I put in them the angrier I got! Let me just give you an idea of what we had to buy for the kids this year.
T-loose leaf paper, single subject notebook, 3 marble comp notebooks, many #2 pencils, many pens, colored pencils, 2 highlighters, 1 pencil pouch, calculator, dictionary, 3 boxes of tissues, zip up binder, a green, blue, and red 2 pocket folder, 1 1/2 inch 3 ring binder, 3 packs of clear tape, 2 red pens, 2 subject notebook, and then for Spanish class comp notebook, 2 pocket notebook, large book cover, pens, pencils, 3 glue sticks.
C-1 box of #2 pencils, sharp scissors, crayons, markers, colored pencils, 1 highlighter, 3 glue sticks, 2 composition notebooks, school supply box, clipboard, 1 inch 3 ring binder, 1 packet of dividers, double pocket folders in red, blue, green, red, purple, an additional folder for "take home" stuff, 3x3 post-it notes, 1 packet loose leaf paper,tissues, and zip lock bags
E-1 box crayola crayons, 1 box crayola washable markers, 2 dozen #2 pencils, 6 large glue sticks, scissors, tissues, school supply box. Her teacher is providing a take home folder this year!
AM-1 box crayola crayons, 1 box crayola washable markers,1 bottle Elmers glue, tissues

AB- hand sanitizer,baby wipes, tissues

Maybe I should have just gone to bed and not written all of this. I am mad all over again. Oh well. Tomorrow they will be in school and it will all be good!

13 comments:

Sherry said...

Yeah, can you believe that??!! My sisters kids even have to show up with three rolls of paper towel on the first day. Seriously. Love the pics of E's b-day and your little swimmer. :)

Beckey said...

Oh don't even get me started about that too! I have a list for my kids just as long. We bought most of our stuff while in Utah this year because last year we bought it all here and of course everything up here costs more and then 13% sales tax on top of that...blah blah blah! I think I spent $70 on school supplies last year!

You just go ahead and vent and I will complain right along with you! I don't remember my mom sending ANYTHING except maybe a new box of crayons only because she splurged on them and then I still got a new box from my teacher too! It is RIDICULOUS!

Hope everything goes well for your kiddos today! Happy first day!

AF Nixons said...

We have that list every year that we have to provide for the kids. After seeing the teacher's supply workroom, however, and the stockpiles of baggies, kleenex, comupter paper, etc., I have begun only sending in the things that I feel are necessary for my kid's education such as the crayons, paper, pencils, notebooks, glue, etc. At the bottom of our lists it says "all donations are voluntary" or something to that effect so I just don't volunteer to bring ziplock baggies and some of the other things that I think shouldn't be required of parents (especially when you're putting 5 in school!) There, I've vented too. I know just how you feel.

Deborah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Nixon Two said...

You can thank Wal-mart. It is one stop shopping for all of that stuff. I am not aware of prices of stuff like that in New York, but things here in Utah were pretty cheap. I picked up 5 boxes of Crayons for less than one dollar and they were the real ones. I realy do not have anything else to stand on because all I requiired in my classes for 37 years was something to write with and something to write on and it amazed me even then at how kids would have to borrow paper or pencils from their peers. When i started teaching my principal told me that all a good teacher really needs is a blackboard and a piece of chalk. I guess today that translates to a whiteboard and a marker. There was a tremendous amount of wisdom in that statement.
I am the G of the agnixon

Anna said...

I feel bad that your kids have to carry all that stuff the first day. Geeeeeeez!

Mike Allred said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Allred said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Allred said...

They could be going to school in FL or UT or LA! Then where would you be?

She would be in Utah, and that would rock!

Mike =)

Becky A said...

oh, I am so with you on this one! I seriously could not believe the amount of $ I spent on supplies this year. I swear, we did not need anything until jr. high or even high school! CRAZINESS!

The Nixon Two said...

Wow Joanna, that made me tired just reading about all the stuff you had to buy. I would have had to take out a small loan. And all that that they had to carry, you should have bought them a big suit case with wheeles.:)
With all the things I had to buy when you were going to school I often wondered why they called it "Free Education" ????? crazy this is from the "A" at agnixon

Anonymous said...

Hey Joanna -
So crazy! It is so fun seeing your fam...Nate always comments on what a great photographer you are! I miss you guys!
Heidi

Jaime said...

glad you said it, the whole time I was hunting for plastic NO PRONG folders in JUST the right colors I was thinking the SAME thing!